0300 200 3300 - An Unofficial Resource, Providing a Call Connection Service for HMRC.

Child Benefit

Calls to this number cost 7p per minute, plus your operator’s access charge. This is a call forwarding service which will connect you directly to the official child benefit contact number, which can be found here. We are not associated with HMRC.

0843 509 2500

Child benefit is a welfare benefit governed by HM Revenue and Customs. Before we venture into explaining everything there is about child benefits, you can call the HMRC phone number that relates to child benefit by dialling the number above.

Get Help with Child Benefit

For general enquiries regarding eligibility, changes to your personal details, changes in circumstances, claiming or canceling your receipt of child benefit, speak to an advisor on:

0300 200 3100 for people in United Kingdom.

+44 161 210 3086 for people outside of UK borders.

To contact HMRC and discuss your Child Benefit claim or speak to an advisor, you will need a couple of things to hand. If you already have a Child Benefit number, you will need to give this over the phone. If you do not have a Child Benefit number or this is the first time you are contacting HMRC regarding these benefits, you will need your National Insurance number at the ready.

If you are a childcare provider and you are having any issues with Working Tax Credit, you can call the HMRC Child Benefit telephone number to speak to an advisor:

0345 300 3941 – for child care providers.

What is Child Benefit?

It is a financial benefit for those responsible for children. Only one person can be in receipt of Child Benefit per child and it is usually the parent or guardian who has full custody. To qualify for Child Benefit you must be in full care of a child under the age of 16 or a child up to the age of 20, if they are in full time education or training. Contributions aren’t only financial, they can include clothing, birthday or Christmas presents, food and pocket money, depending on your specific situation.

Child Benefit will continue to be paid for 20 weeks if the child is 16 or 17 years old and decides to leave full time education or training and registers for the armed services or government careers service. Eligibility for Child Benefit could change if the child goes into hospital or lives with someone else. If anything changes to your personal details or circumstance then it’s your obligation to inform HMRC as soon as possible. You can update your information by contacting HMRC on the phone number above.

Am I eligible to Claim?

You will be eligible to receive Child Benefit if you adopt or foster a child and can apply for Child Benefit as soon as the child comes to live with you. Eligibility will not be affected by the nationality of the child. It is possible to receive Child Benefit before the child comes to live with you but this is decided on a case-by-case basis. To find out if you are eligible to receive Child Benefit or for general enquires about this benefit when adopting or fostering a child, call the claims number above.

If either you or your partner earns more than £50,000 per year, you will have to pay a tax charge on your benefit. It is possible to reject payments of Child Benefit though it is advised to fill out the appropriate forms because this helps you receive National Insurance credits and ensures your child receives their National Insurance number when they turn 16.

To qualify, call the Child Benefit phone number above for further information about your application.

How to Claim

Claiming your Child Benefit couldn’t be easier. Simply complete the CH2 form and send it back to HMRC with your child’s original birth or adoption certificate. You will need to print the form off and return it by post to:

Child Benefit Office (GB)
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE88 1ZD

How long will my application take?

It usually takes around 12 weeks to process an application and sometimes longer if your child is not a resident of the UK. Child Benefits can be backdated to three months so it’s important to make your claim as soon as possible.

Complaints and Appeals

If you have a grievance and would like to complain to HMRC about the service you received, a delay with your application or a mistake, then you will need to follow the formal complaints process. To make a complaint you must include the following information:

  • National Insurance number
  • Full name
  • Contact details
  • Information about the incident and time of day
  • The best time to contact you
  • Any complaint reference number
  • Action you would like HMRC to take

HMRC will aim to respond to your complaint as soon as they can. You can log a formal complaint with an advisor by calling the telephone number above. If your response from HMRC is still unsatisfactory then you can ask the department to assess your complaint once again. If you receive a poor response from the second assessment of your complaint, then it may be time to pass your complaint over to an Independent Adjudicator. From here if you still feel that your complaint has not been resolved then you can pass your complaint over to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

You will receive Child Benefit only for children that you are responsible for, even if you are not officially their parent. Only one person can get Child Benefit per child and the rates depend on how many children you have. For the eldest child, or only child, you will receive £20.70 per week. For any additional children you will receive £13.70 per child on top of the £20.70. There is a cap on benefits that those aged between 16 and 64 can receive.

Can somebody call on my behalf?

HM Revenue & Customs are obligated to discuss matters of finance and benefits with you or your authorised representative. Due to the Data Protection Act, they will not be able to discuss anything regarding your account or benefits with any other, unauthorised person. Authorise a close family member or friend using a TC689 form online to make them an appointee. Authorisation lasts 12 months and more than one person can be authorised for one claim.

If you need to contact HMRC regarding your child benefit application or for general enquires, use the telephone number above to speak to a friendly member of the team.