0300 200 3300 - An Unofficial Resource, Providing a Call Connection Service for HMRC.

Income Tax

Calls cost 7p per minute, plus your operator’s access charge. This is a call forwarding service which will connect you directly to the official helpline for all Income Tax enquiries. This website is not associated with HMRC.

0843 509 2500

HM Revenue and Customs are responsible for regulating and collecting payments of tax from those working in the UK. Income tax, or ‘Pay as you Earn’ (PAYE) is a form of tax deducted from a person’s wage. As we will discuss below, not all income is taxable and the amount you pay in tax is dependent on your income.

Personal tax is regulated by HMRC and as such, if you have any questions or would like to speak to someone for help or advice, call the telephone number above to speak to an advisor.

How to get help with Income Tax

Phone HMRC to discuss your personal tax and get your questions answered. Call the connection service on:

0843 509 2500

If you are calling from outside of the UK then you will need to use the number below:

+44 135 535 9022

Lines are open Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm, 8am to 4pm on Saturdays and 9am to 5pm on Sundays. The official number can also be found on the gov.uk website. Before you call, you will need to have your National Insurance number to hand. Speak to an advisor regarding PAYE coding notices, marriage allowances and changing your personal details.

What is Income Tax?

Income tax is a form of tax paid by those working in the UK. It means that a portion of your income will be deducted as tax. Tax is paid on many different things like earning money through employment, some state benefits, income from a trust, most pensions and lots more. Tax isn’t always paid for everything. There are a few things where tax is not paid:

  • Any interest on savings under your savings allowance
  • Any income from an ISA or tax exempt accounts
  • First £5,000 of dividends from company shares
  • State benefits
  • Premium bond or National Lottery wins
  • Rent that is below the rent-a-room limit

Most people are entitled to a personal allowance for tax-free income. This is the amount of income you can be paid, before you will be taxed. If you earn anything over this threshold, you will have to pay income tax. If you qualify for tax relief then the amount of Income tax you pay may be reduced. If you have any questions regarding how Income tax works or your personal allowance, call HMRC using the telephone number above.

How do I Pay PAYE Tax?

There are a number of different ways to pay Income tax depending on your type of employment. If you are self employed then you will pay Income tax through Self Assessment. If you are working through an employer then Income tax will be deducted through the PAYE system. The PAYE system also takes National Insurance contributions from your income meaning everything is done automatically without you needing to do anything.

Those that are self employed or earning a higher income will need to fill out and submit a Self Assessment tax return every year, showing the amount of tax that is owed for that tax year. Income tax is not taken from interest earned through savings or any investment.

If you would like to speak to someone regarding your Income tax, the PAYE system, Self Assessment or anything else, simply contact HMRC on the phone number above. An advisor will be able to talk you through the process and answer any questions you may have.

If you receive certain state benefits then you may be required to pay Income tax on these. If this is the case then the same regulations apply to income. Taxable benefits include:

  • State Pension
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Bereavement Allowance
  • pensions paid by the Industrial Death Benefit scheme
  • Widowed Parent’s Allowance
  • Widow’s pension

Not all state benefits are taxable. There are a number of different state benefits where you do not have to pay any income tax on your state benefit. These include:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Guardian’s Allowance
  • Winter Fuel Payments and Christmas Bonus
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Universal Credit
  • War Widow’s Pension

If you receive any of these state pensions and would like to discuss how they will affect your Income tax, call HM Revenue and Customs to speak to an advisor.

To work out if you need to pay Income tax, there are a couple of things you will need to do. Firstly, add up all of your taxable income from the tax year. This should include any taxable state benefits. Once you have added up your taxable income for the year, work out what your tax-free allowance is for the tax year. Next, you need to take your tax-free credit allowance from your taxable income. If you have any money remaining then you will be a taxpayer.

How do I claim a Tax Rebate?

Rebates are usually automatic, however if you are aware that you have overpaid then you should contact the tax office at the earliest possible opportunity to have the problem rectified. Overpayments are typically calculated at the end of the tax year, at which point a refund will be automatically issued.

If you are not paying any tax when you believe that you should be, call the HMRC Income tax helpline and let them know. If you have been paying tax when you shouldn’t have been, you will also need to call the HMRC telephone number to arrange a refund for your overpayment of Income tax. If you are unsure whether you need to pay Income tax or not, get in touch with customer services to speak with an advisor. They will be able to check how much you should be paying and if you are entitled to a tax refund.

How do I update my information?

It is vital that you keep up to date with how much you should be paying in Income tax. Keep your eye on how much you are paying and if anything changes with your Income tax. If there are any changes in personal information, like moving home or changing job, it’s important to update your information with HMRC.

What is my Tax Code?

Your tax code shows which tax band you are in and therefore, how much tax needs to be deducted. This usually takes into account any benefits you receive and pensions.

If your tax code changes unexpectedly, then it’s important to contact HMRC to ensure you are paying the right amount of Income tax. They will be able to explain why your tax code has changed and what this means for yourself. If you believe your tax code is incorrect, or you are paying Emergency Tax, then call the helpline listed on this page to provide details of your employment and circumstances.

Contact HMRC for any other enquires regarding Income tax. An advisor will ensure that you are paying the right amount of Income tax and will advise on the next steps if there are any. For any general enquires then call the HMRC Income tax helpline number listed above, to speak to a member of the team fast.