0300 200 3300 - An Unofficial Resource, Providing a Call Connection Service for HMRC.

National Insurance

Calls cost 7p per minute, plus your operator’s access charge. This is a call forwarding service which will connect your call directly to the official helpline where you can get help with all National Insurance enquiries. We are not associated with HMRC.

0843 509 2500

‘HMRC’ or HM Revenue and Customs, governs the National Insurance as part of the government without ministerial overview. National Insurance offers citizens the chance to qualify for certain benefits if they need it. National Insurance contributions are paid by everyone that is over the age of 16 and earning over a certain amount.

What is National Insurance?

National Insurance is paid for the majority of a person’s life, in order to qualify for benefits like the State Pension, Child Benefit and much more. You can pay National Insurance if you are over 16 years old, earn more than £155 per week or if you are self-employed and earn more than £5,965 per year. There are several types of National Insurance, and which one you pay is determined by the amount you earn, your employment status and whether you have any gaps in payment of National Insurance.

Before you are able to start paying National Insurance, you will need a National Insurance number. This will be issued on your 16th birthday and remains the same for your whole life. Previously, this was sent by letter with a National Insurance card, but the card has since been discontinued. You will usually receive your National Insurance number around your 16th birthday, but you can apply online if you have not received it.

If you are moving to the UK and already have been issued your National Insurance number then you can find it on your biometric residence permit. However, if you do not have a National Insurance number then you must apply for it. It’s only possible to apply for your NI number once you are living in the UK and you must have the right to work or study in the country.

Lost National Insurance Number Card

If you have lost or forgotten your NI number you will need to contact HMRC to find this information out. You will need your National Insurance number when starting a new job, for the electoral register and by your local council so it’s important to keep this number safe.

National Insurance numbers can be found on a number of different documents:

  • P60
  • tax return
  • Payslip
  • Letters regarding your pension or benefit
  • In the National Insurance section of your personal tax account

Getting a Replacement Card

Unfortunately, it’s easy to misplace or forget your National Insurance number so it’s important to know what to do in this situation. If you have lost your number then the best option is to get in touch with the HMRC contact number by dialling the number above. They will be able to issue you with your NI number. Alternatively you can re-apply for it online.

If you want to apply for your National Insurance number,  call the local rate HMRC National Insurance telephone number:

0345 600 0643

or you can contact them on textphone:

0345 600 0644

For the Welsh speaking, contact 0345 602 1491. Lines are open from 8 in the morning to 6 in the evening, Monday to Friday.

If you have lost your National Insurance number, you can also fill out the CA5403 form for a new letter.

This helpline only handles National Insurance number related issues. Issues tend to range from young people who haven’t received their National Insurance numbers yet, those that have lost their National Insurance number and much more. It’s important to bear in mind that your National Insurance number may not be given to you over the phone so it’s best to contact HMRC as soon as you are aware of the lost or forgotten National Insurance number.

Your National Insurance number is a very important number to keep track of. It is required by lots of different government agencies and continues to be the same throughout your life. These are the agencies that require your National Insurance number:

  • HM Revenue & Customs
  • Your employer
  • Department of work and pensions, including the Jobcentre Plus, Pension and Disability services, along with much more
  • Your local council
  • Electoral registration officers
  • For student loans company (if you go to University)
  • For your bank, savings accounts and ISAs
  • Your pension company, if you have a stakeholder pension

Because of the importance of this number, it’s crucial that it is kept safe and not given out to anyone else, unless it is to any of the agencies listed above. If you have lost your letter with your National Insurance number on, it’s important to call HMRC on the telephone number above to ask for them to send you another letter as confirmation.

How Much National Insurance Should I Pay?

Payment of National Insurance ends when you reach state pension age. Self-employed people will pay Class 2 National Insurance and finish paying once they reach state pension age or several months after then (if they have some ongoing contributions they must pay).

If you are self employed then you will pay Class 2 and Class 4 NI depending on your profits and income. These can both be paid through your Self Assessment form.

If you are employed and self employed then your employer will deduct your Class 1 National Insurance contributions and you will pay Class 4 payments on top. How much a person pays in National Insurance contributions depends on their combined income from all jobs worked and once the Self Assessment forms have been filled in for that year, HMRC will be able to calculate the amount of NI you will need to pay.

If you would like to find out how much you will have to pay in NI, contact HMRC and speak to a dedicated advisor.

If there are any gaps in your National Insurance records then this could affect the amount of benefits you receive. If for any reason, there are any gaps in your National Insurance records then you can get NI credits to fill in the gaps in your record so your benefits are not affected. You can get National Insurance credits if you are unable to work due to a serious illness or are a carer for someone else. If you are currently not working or receiving any NI credits, then you can pay voluntary contributions to fill in the gaps. If you would like to speak to someone regarding gaps in your NI contributions, call HMRC on the telephone number above.

Contact HM Revenue and Customs for information about National Insurance, your application, lost or forgotten NI numbers and for any other general enquiries. This low-cost premium phone number will put you straight through to an advisor who will be able to help you get your questions answered.