0300 200 3300 - An Unofficial Resource, Providing a Call Connection Service for HMRC.

Tax Credits

Calls to this number cost 7p per minute, plus your operator’s access charge. This is a call forwarding service which will connect you to the official helpline, also accessible here. We are not associated with HMRC.

0843 509 2500

HMRC regulates and ensures the collection of tax throughout the UK. Taxes are paid by those that are employed, over the age of 16 and earning above a certain amount. Tax credits are a benefit where part of your tax is returned due to specific circumstances.

Call the Tax Credit Contact Number

For any questions regarding tax credit benefits, how to claim, how much you could get, complaints to HMRC or any general questions, contact HMRC on the telephone number above. This phone number will direct you to a member of the team who will be happy to help.

It is possible to manage your tax credits using your online account. From here you can update personal information, inform HMRC of changes in your circumstances, find out when you will be paid and how much you could be awarded. Before you access your online account, you will need to have your National Insurance number to hand.

Speak to an advisor via telephone to update information, circumstances, how much you will be paid and for all general enquires. Call the HMRC Contact Number below for further information or advice:

0345 300 3900

If you are calling from outside of the UK then you will need to use the following contact number:

+44 2890 538 192

Lines are open Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm, 8am to 4pm on Saturdays and 9am to 5pm on Sundays. The HMRC tax credit department is closed on Christmas day, Boxing day and New Year’s Day.


You can write to HMRC regarding your tax credits. You will need to ensure that you include your National Insurance number with your letter or form. For tax credit renewals send all letters to:

HM Revenue and Customs – Tax Credit Office
Comben House
Farriers Way
L75 1AX
United Kingdom


If you are writing to log a complaint or let HMRC know of a change of circumstance, then it is important to make clear the purpose of your letter by writing ‘complaint’ or ‘change of circumstance’ at the top of the letter. With letters of this nature, you do not need to include a PO Box number or street name. Send letters to:

HM Revenue and Customs
Tax Credit Office
United Kingdom

For all new tax credit claims then you will need to send your form or letter to:

HM Revenue and Customs – Tax Credit Office
L75 1AZ
United Kingdom

If you require any additional help with contacting HMRC, for example if English isn’t your first language or if you are deaf or visually impaired, then take a look at how HM Revenue and Customs are able to help.

How to Claim Tax Credits

To claim tax credits you will need to answer a few questions before HMRC will send you a tax claim form to complete. The fastest way to do this is by contacting HM Revenue and Customs on the telephone number above. A member of the team will be able to run through the questions with you and take the next necessary steps. Alternatively, you can complete these questions online and find out if you are able to claim for tax credit. If you are able to claim tax credits then you will be sent a form in the post. You will need to complete this form and send it back to HMRC as soon as you can. The letter can take around two weeks to arrive.

If you are having any issues while completing the form or answering the short questions, don’t hesitate to contact HMRC tax credit department where a member of the team will be happy to help.

If you decide to call HMRC Tax Credit Office, you will need the following information at hand:

  • National Insurance number
  • Income for the past tax year
  • Details of any other benefits that you receive
  • Number of hours you work per week
  • Details of any childcare payments you make

When you receive your tax credit claims from, there will be some guidance information included. If you have read the guidance information and are still unsure about anything on the form then contact HMRC and speak to an advisor.

Tax credits can be claimed as working tax credits or child tax credits, depending on your current situation. To qualify for working tax credits, you must earn up to £13,250 before tax, work at least 30 hours a week and be single. It is possible to claim working tax credits as a couple if you both work at least 30 hours a week and together you earn up to £18,023 a year before tax. If you are disabled and work at least 30 hours a week then you may be entitled to help even above the threshold.

You will be able to claim child tax credits if you have a child as long as your income is £26,200 or below before tax. If you have two or more children than you are entitled to child tax credit if you earn £32,900 or below after tax. If your income is higher than this then you may still be eligible to claim child tax credits depending on your childcare expenditure.

To find out if you qualify for tax credits, or for any general enquires contact HMRC tax credit office on the telephone number above.

If you are unhappy with the service you received from HMRC Tax Credit Office then it is important to log a formal complaint. To make a complaint you must follow their complaints procedure. You can log a complaint to dispute an overpayment decision, disagree with a tax credit decision or to complain about tax credits or the service you received from HMRC Tax Credit Office.

The fastest way to log a formal complaint with HMRC is via telephone. Contact the Tax Credit Office on the phone number above.

For all enquires regarding applying for tax credits, completing the tax credit form, complaints and general enquires, contact HMRC Tax Credit Office on the telephone number above. A member of the team will be able to advise you on the next step to take and answer any questions you may have.